Lecture 6 Assignments Nov 1, 2009 17:56:17 GMT -6
Post by Hooligan on Nov 1, 2009 17:56:17 GMT -6
ASSIGNMENTS FOR LECTURE 6
LECTURE PART 1 ASSIGNMENT:
1. If the English sentence I like eating eggs were translated into Talossan and then back into English, how would the sentence read?LECTURE PART 2 ASSIGNMENT:
2. In Talossan, nouns can be omitted and an adjective allowed to stand alone. This is also done in English, but typically only when the noun is a plural (group of people, etc.) -- for example, only the good die young. Using the Översteir, look up the following adjectives and use them as nouns in the following sentences:
3. Use the Översteir to look up the folloowing English words. Identify the Talossan verb and the Talossan suffix that are the parts of this word:
- a. (the bald [man]) aicì'st (= is here).
- b. (the innocent [man]) serà liverat (= will be freed)
- c. solamint (the lonely [man]) put xhúarh (= can play)
4. Remembering that sometimes the gender of a word is determined by its sexual (as opposed to grammatical) sense, translate the following -- do not translate the words in parentheses, but use them to assist you in the translation:
- a. exploration
- b. appendage
- c. secessionism
- d. typist
- e. lurker
5. Talossan has many nouns that are expressed in a single word that would take more than one word to express in English. Look up and translate the following five examples of these, and then see if you can find five other examples:
- a. The poor (needy man).
- b. The poor (needy woman).
- c. The (female) spy.
- d. The cur (that is, the [male] dog).
- e. The bitch (that is, the [female] dog).
- a. the slave to fashion
- b. the desire to yawn
- c. the duty to one's superiors
- d. the plot to seize power
- e. the ear of corn
1. List ten Talossan nouns (and their plural forms) that are in the first plural declension. Include at least five nouns having plural forms that are not simply formed by adding the letter s to the singular form.VOCABULARY ASSIGNMENT:
2. List five Talossan nouns (and their plural forms) that are in the second plural declension.
3. List five Talossan nouns (and their plural forms) that are in the third plural declension.
4. List five Talossan nouns (and their plural forms) that are in the fourth plural declension.
5. List five Talossan nouns (and their plural forms) that are in the fifth plural declension.
Go back to the vocabulary turned in for week 1 and identify the gender of each of the nouns in that vocabulary list. Now that you should be able to pronounce (and correctly stress) them all, say each word with the appropriate definite article (el, la, or l').INDIVIDUAL TRANSLATION PROJECT ASSIGNMENT:
For example, el martel (= the hammer), la piatana (= the plane), and l'anadeir (= the grinder).
Translate all singular and plural nouns in your text into Talossan. As you do so, you may find that some of the articles you added in the previous assignment are of improper gender; correct these as you learn and add [tr][/tr]each noun.
Also, identify any cases where English present participles are being used as gerunds (as in I like eating) and translate these to the appropriate Talossan gerund (in this case, the infinitive form of the verb to eat, making it el menxharh, 'the to-eat').
Additionally, identify any cases where an adjective may stand as the noun, and omit the noun if you feel it is obvious from context (as in of these two men, he is the tall [one]).[/blockquote]COURSE TRANSLATION PROJECT ASSIGNMENT:
No assignment until one of the final weeks. Continue your group discussion.