Post by Viteu Marcianüs on Jan 30, 2020 21:38:55 GMT -6
Fellow Vuodians and Dandenburgers,
It occurs to me that some have raised once more the idea of merging our province with M-M.
On prior occasions, I have come out against this proposal. But we are a small province that lacks sufficient numbers to form a fully functional provinicial government. Perhaps we should reconsider the issue.
I find myself growingly sympathetic to a merger. So let us, and only those in this province, have an honest discussion about whether we desire to maintain the status quo or think our future interest entails merger.
Post by Eðo Grischun on Feb 19, 2020 13:33:58 GMT -6
Just some quick thoughts on it for now,
- You and I have been around these parts for quite a while now (over a decade) and in all that time the province has never seen meaningful activity from more that, what? 3 people at any given time, maybe 4, but on average 2 and sometimes even just 1. It's starting to feel like it's just our little club, yeah? For years now, you and I have passed the same offices back and forth to each other. You are about to go to the UC bench, and I'm nearly certain that I'm guaranteed to be the Senator again. We just keep passing the offices of Premier, Presiding Officer and Senator between each other.
- There was a point during my Senatorship when I felt like I was cheating. I held a Senate seat with it's full voting power and weight, but it felt like I didn't represent anyone other than myself. You were on hiatus, Troxta was away doing his usual and nobody else cares. It gets to stage where we need to ask is it legitimate for Vuode to hold this much power in the Senate?
- Senate races would become more meaningful. The contest pool gets bigger.
- Putting 'activity' aside, Ian P ran some numbers on this. It just so happens that MM and Vuode are the two provinces with the fewest voting-age populations. Merging MM and Vuode would bring the total population more in line with the populations in other provinces (into second place behind Benito).
- Our catchment areas don't seem to work for us. It's been a while since I looked at the list, but I'm sure that Vuode's catchment has the most countries where English is not a primary language. And on catchment areas, it's only a matter of time, I think, before we lose Ohio to Benito (right now there's some legally questionable stuff happening over this where Benito is claiming Vuodean Ohioans, but eventually I can see Benito taking Ohio legitimately).
- As long as the historical importance of Vuode is preserved and remembered I don't see why it would be a travesty to be demoted from provincial status. You and I (and Sir T when he's here) will always keep the Vuodean flame burning within another province. It's actually more likely that we would be able to forge out what a Vuodean sub-culture might be from within a larger province.
The Right Honourable Éovart Grischun Minister of the Interior
Party Leader of the Peculiar Nationalist Party (PNP)
I support the idea of the “United Provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandenburg”.